02 October 2009

Enfin! Quelques images! OR Finally, some pictures!


Finally I have a few images of the apartment and the view from my window of the town to upload! Sorry there aren't any of the town yet--I'm working on it! Pictured are my new slippers (Yay slippers!) because the French dont belive in carpets or rugs, apparently; the view from my window, our kitchen, and my bedroom from several angles!


This was my first real day of observing classes today. I sat in on three different classes, with two different professors and it was VERY interesting to see how they held class and the differences in how they taught English. It seems like its a real challenge to get the students to speak in English--they are quite shy--but very ready to talk amongst themselves in French! I think I will learn a lot about teaching from these different professors--sometimes axactly what NOT to do! For the first class the teacher decided to just sort of improvise introducing me, so we sat in a circle and she had me tell the students a little about myself and then let them ask me questions. I thought they were pretty quiet, but after the class she thanked me and said it was the most energetic she'd seen them so far, and she thought that I might be able to make a real difference in their perception of english class! This makes more sense when you consider that learning english in high school here is NOT volontary! They begin learning english in junior high, and I think for some it is really just one of those things you HAVE to do, like spelling tests, or the dentist. It seems that they are not allowed to do very many fun activities or conversational things, either, since all of their work is meant to prepare them for the Bacc, this huge exam they study for all of high school for that determines whether or not they can go to university. So, hopefully I'll be able to provide some fun and interest for them! Also, I've noticed so far that at least one teacher makes some rather grievous errors in English on a very regular basis! Yikes! Hopefully  I can provide, er, an alternative option....

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for blogging. We are really enjoying your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a very nice room and dining room! I would have killed for something that nice at the lycee where I taught.
    Go find the wine shop that sells vin en vrac and watch the frustrations melt away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merci pour tes bons conseils, Patrick, j'ai de la chance, n'est-ce pas? Send any other pearls of wisdom that you think of my way!

    ReplyDelete